Albuquerque LGBT Divorce & Family Law Attorneys
Same-sex marriage has been recognized in New Mexico since 2013. Whether lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals choose to marry or be involved in domestic partnerships, they can face the same family legal issues as heterosexual individuals.
Given how family law disputes can threaten relationships and turn lives upside down, having the representation of an experienced Albuquerque LGBT divorce & family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC can be crucial when it is time to resolve any LGBT family law issue.
Call 505-539-3232 or Email Us for Answers about
How to Resolve Your LGBT Family Law Matters
We are ready to help you get through the difficult times so you can put the conflict behind you, get a fresh start, and focus on your new beginning.
Divorce Services & Representation for LGBT Couples
When same-sex spouses decide to move forward with a divorce, they will have the same options as heterosexuals for dissolving their marriage, including:
- Legal separation – This can be an interim step taken before divorce when couples are still determining whether reconciliation is possible. Legal separations for LGBT spouses can also be a good option when:
- Couples want to officially separate their finances and property but still retain certain benefits from each other (like healthcare, government or insurance benefits).
- Couples have not met the New Mexico divorce requirements, like the residency requirement mandating that at least one spouse has lived in the state for a minimum of six months.
- Uncontested divorce – If same-sex spouses agree on all of the issues of their divorce (like the division of property, support payments, and/or custody arrangements), they can pursue an uncontested divorce. These types of divorce cases usually involve spouses developing their divorce agreement and submitting it to the family court for review and approval.
- Informal divorce process – When same-sex couples disagree about any issues of their divorce but they are willing and able to work together towards a resolution, they may proceed with a collaborative divorce and/or divorce mediation. These options can lead to favorable out-of-court resolutions, which can expedite divorce cases and possibly limit divorce costs.
- Contested divorce – When same-sex couples cannot reach an agreement regarding their divorce issues via an informal process, the divorce will generally go before a family court, where a judge will make a final decision regarding the points of dispute. A contested divorce may also be a better option (than an informal divorce proceeding) when domestic violence is an issue in a case.
Regardless of the type of proceeding you wish to pursue, an LGBT family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC can provide you with extraordinary advocacy, support, and personal service throughout the course of your case.
Other LGBT Family Law Services
In addition to handling same-sex divorce cases, our attorneys are also experienced at representing LGBT individuals in various other family law cases, including (but not limited to) those involving:
- Child custody disputes, such as those arising over custody modifications and child relocations
- Child support disputes, including those related to enforcing or modifying child support orders
- Adoptions, including step-parent and grandparent adoptions, as well as domestic and international adoptions
- Prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements, including developing, modifying, enforcing, and disputing these agreements.
The bottom line is that, when LGBT people and couples face family legal issues, they can count on an LGBT family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC to help them:
- Understand their rights and legal options
- Protect and advance their interests at each phase of their case
- Successfully navigate the road ahead
- Obtain the best possible outcome.
Get Superior Advocacy & Compassionate Legal Service: Contact a Divorce & Family Lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC
To find out more about your legal options and how we can help you, contact an Albuquerque LGBT divorce & family lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC. Call 505-539-3232 or email our firm.
Our attorneys are ready to discuss your needs, address your concerns, and explain your options for protecting your interests as you move forward. Backed by four decades of family law experience, we have the knowledge and skills you can count on for effective representation in and outside the courtroom.
From offices based in Albuquerque, we provide the highest quality counsel and representation to clients throughout New Mexico. Our attorneys are also licensed to practice in Texas and Michigan.