Even celebrities forget that divorce documents can be acquired under the Freedom of Information Act, so that nearly every salacious detail can be printed in your local newspaper, if there were reason to do so. Take Elvis Presley and his marriage to Priscilla, for instance. Their divorce documents recently went on the action block, so that their dirty laundry, so to speak, and their signatures can now be owned by another person. We’ll take a quick look at what the Presley’s divorce papers reveal, and then we’ll discuss how to prevent your divorce details from becoming public knowledge or record.
And, if you think looking up someone’s divorce records is more investigative work than it’s worth, think again. There are online applications, like the divorce records search function on dmv.org that only takes a few minutes using your home computer to pull up divorce records on just about anyone.
What Was In Elvis & Priscilla Presley’s Divorce Documents?
The following details about Elvis and Priscilla Presley’s divorce were gathered from various news reports:1
- The 12 pages of divorce documents dated Aug. 15, 1972 were sold in the U.K. by auctioneers Henry Aldridge & Son.
- A few conditions of the settlement were that Elvis sign over his 1971 Mercedes Benz, a 1969 Cadillac Eldorado, a 1971 Harley Davidson motorcycle, and pay $100,000 to Priscilla.
- The documents also stated that Priscilla received half of the income from three rental properties in California.
- The auction house has estimated that the Presley’s divorce documents are worth somewhere between $26,318 and $32,898.
Steps To Take To Keep Your Divorce Records Private
The following are a few suggestions for keeping your divorce records private:
- The first order of business is getting an experienced and knowledgeable Albuquerque divorce lawyer to assist you with the task of keeping your divorce documents private.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, the New Mexico Supreme Court mandated that records not sealed by statute, could only be sealed by a court order.
- Additionally, only sensitive information will be redacted from public disclosure. So, the rest will remain public record.
- One way around keeping your divorce documents private, is leave out any fault ground for divorce, any bank account numbers, birthdates, initials, etc. Sometimes high-profile couples even use random initials.
- Some parties will even include a confidentiality clause in the divorce agreement in addition to sealing the files. This action can help prevent details of the divorce from being made public, or in some instances gives one of the divorcing party involved a legal recourse should the other party violates the provision.
- Additionally, a collaborate or amicable divorce is a specialized divorce process where the parties and their attorneys are involved in closed door proceedings, so it is not open to the public and there is no judge overseeing the settlement agreement. Documents will still need to be entered into court record, however.
Contact a Albuquerque Divorce Lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC
A good divorce lawyer will put the client’s interests first, and won’t do anything to compromise their privacy? Do you need assistance keeping your divorce as private as possible under the law? If so, contact a Albuquerque Divorce Lawyer at Sutherland Law Firm, LLC by calling 575-205-1328 or email us using the form on this page.
With a combined four decades of legal experience, our Albuquerque divorce lawyers will handle the complexities of your divorce for the best possible outcome, so you can stay focused on your new beginning.
1“Elvis Presley’s Divorce Papers Up For Auction” published in Fox News, Nov. 2017.